Code of Practice for Parents and Guardians
Sheen Lawn Tennis and Squash Club is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being of all its members. The club believes that it is important that members, coaches, administrators and parents/guardians associated with the club should, at all times, show respect and understanding for the safety and welfare of others. Therefore, members are encouraged to be open at all times and to share any concerns or complaints that they may have about any aspect of the club with
Sophie Harrington, Club Administrator Tel: 020 8878 7650
As a member of Sheen Lawn Tennis & Squash Club you are expected to abide by the following code of practice:
• Encourage your child to learn the rules of tennis and play within them.
• Discourage unfair play and arguing with officials.
• Help your child to recognise good performance, not just results.
• Never force your child to take part in sport.
• Set a good example by recognising fair play and applauding the good performances of all.
• Never punish or belittle a child for losing or making mistakes.
• Publicly accept judgements made by officials.
• Support your child's involvement and help them to enjoy their sport.
• Use correct and proper language at all times.
• Allow your child to play in the Mini Tennis colour stage that is appropriate to them. This will ensure they enjoy playing the game, develop their skills and gain confidence.
• Purchase balls and rackets that match the stage your child is in.
• Be patient. Steady progression is unusual in children; peaks and plateaus are common.
• Your first question following any match should be: “Did you enjoy it?” not “Did you win?”
• At no stage should you communicate with your child or interfere with the on-court helpers and referees during a match – just enjoy the game and let officials take care of the rules!